Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Declined....Really Declined" Confessions of a Shopaholic

Prada, Gucci, Barneys etc etc. Every woman's dream to go on a shopping spree at one of these stores. Rebecca Bloomwood from Confessions of a Shopaholic does just that. The only problem? She spends more money than she can afford.

The movie is about Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) who grew up with penny pincher parents so breaks free of the saving ways when she is an adult and shops her way into debt. In order to pay off the looming debt she has to take a job at a finance magazine (Ironic, no?). There she meets the ever so handsome Luke Brandon (Hugh Dancy)who also happens to be her boss. Surprisingly she becomes very successful there, writing a column known as The Girl in the Green Scarf. All this comes crashing down when a debt collector knocks on her door.

The movie is based on the best selling book by Sophie Kinsella. I have not read the books so I cannot say if the movie stayed true to them, but I can say that the movie is quite funny. I have heard mixed reviews about whether the film is as good as the book (you can read many reviews on Cinemaclock.com) but I thought it was worth watching. If you are worried about whether you would like it, wait until it is released on DVD and then watch it.

It is pretty obvious why Confessions of a Shopaholic is a "chick flick." The entire movie is about shopping, a past time that women love. Women have an appreciation for shopping that most guys don't seem to understand. Just take a look at the study that says shopping is bad for men's health......who knew. Besides the shopping there is also a love story that blooms (no pun intended) between Rebecca and Luke as well as friendship troubles, making this a definite "chick flick."

The question that must be asked: does this movie make it into the cannon of the best "chick flicks." Robert Ebert could not have said it any better: ""Confessions of a Shopaholic" is no masterpiece. But it's funny." Although this is a movie that I would suggest seeing if you are into the "chick flick" comedies, I would not put it into the top "chick flick" lists.

The usual question of whether men would enjoy this movie......probably not. The only thing I can think that they may enjoy is the comedy, although I would go on a limb and say that it is more humour that women would like. I am not saying that all guys would not like this movie because I know when I went to see it there were some guys in the theater (okay maybe two, but that is still "some"). So there might be a few that would appreciate the comedy and shopping in the film, but probably not many.

So if your interested in seeing it watch the trailer and see if it is right for you.

4 comments:

  1. I posted a prediction about this movie and, even though am a great lover of chick flicks, am not very interested in it. Believe it or not, I'm a girl who doesn't like to shop! I'm glad it's funny and I love Isla Fisher but I may just wait on this one. Thanks for helping in my decision process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably Sophie Kinsella's number one biggest fan! I have been reading all of her books and own the entire "Shopaholic" series ever since grade 10 and get extremly excited when I see the next edition come out.

    I remember seeing the trailer of this movie about 4-5 months ago and I literally jumped off of my chair screaming!! I immediatly picked up the phone and called my best friend in calgary (who is also a big shopaholic fan)just to tell her the great news. I even forced her to fly down here just so we could watch it on opening night together.

    The movie actually combines book 1 "Confessions of a Shopaholic" with book 2 "Shopaholic Takes On Manhatten". Even though it does that, it still stays true to the main story line of the book. Not only that bust Isla Fisher does a really really fantastic job at playing out Rebecca's character just perfectly. I hate watching a movie after reading a book because it destroys how I personally created that character in my head. And I thought this movie was going to do that, but Miss. Fisher does an awsome job at portraying Rebbecca perfectly, I was however disappointed with Luke's character.

    More importantly, I highly recommend that you read the book even though u've already watched the movie. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the book. Even though you already know the ending and the story line, the book still has something about it that you would definitly regret if u didnt read it.

    I'll let you borrow mine in France :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the movie was really funny, I did enjoy it. I must say that I do love to shop so I am sure that helped lol.


    I do want to read the books after watching the movie. I have heard that the humour in the book is even better than the movie. I am definitely putting it on my summer reading list! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I predicted the ending too. But the movie was very well done, and I couldn't stop laughing. The books would be interesting & fun to read.

    ReplyDelete