Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Hello, my name is Inego Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die..." and laugh with The Princess Bride

I was flipping through satellite, trying to find something to watch when I saw The Princess Bride. Even though I own the movie and could watch it at any time, I instantly was dying to watch it. The Princess Bride has to be on my top five favourite movies of all time, and it just so happens to be a "chick flick."

The movie is about the love between Buttercup and Westley. Unfortunate events, Buttercup being kidnapped and Westley thought to be dead, separate the two. However, they are brought back together after defeating the evil Prince Humperdinck......I am totally serious, his name is actually Humperdinck.

As if the unforgettable love story is not enough to draw your attention, the ability to make you laugh or smile is well worth it. Robert Ebert calls The Princess Bride "a sly parody" and says he "will be laughing a lot" (full review). Some of the scenes may be a bit ridiculous or unreal, but it only adds to the movie. The film has won the Toronto International Film Festival award and was nominated for many other awards, such as an Oscar.So yes women will love watching the story of poor Buttercup and her love Westley, but guys will enjoy this movie too. No, I'm not joking. Do not judge the movie by its title, or its poster. If you do not believe me, believe Slice and Men's Health. Both sites have given The Princes Bride the, what I would like to call, guy's stamp of approval. Ladies, just tell your guy that "according to Men's Health it's good for you....." would that work? I don't really know, maybe I will test it out.

Anyways, why wouldn't men like this film? There are hilarious moments, sword fighting, magic, a giant (not literally, but pretty darn close), flesh eating eels and of course kidnapping and near death experiences. Believe me guys, you will hardly notice the love story. So, as always, watch the trailer and see if it is right for you!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, The Princess Bride is such a hilarious movie. I enjoyed it! At first, when I read the title of the movie I actually did think it was a mushy, gooey, lovey dove dove movie; but because there is so much action, I forgot it was a love story.

    This movie can also be categorized as a comedy, thriller, and a fantasy. If i can recall, in the trailer the boy asks his grandfather "If this is a kissing book?" As soon as the boy says this the grandfather describes all the adventures found in the book. So ... Is there too much Romance... I think Not!

    There are some great actors who star in this movie, such as Wallace Shawn and Steve Martin.

    Great Review Lacey...you have me talking so much about this particular movie. I guess it just makes me angry when guys automatically say this movie is not for me, because it's a CHICK FLICK. However, they are wrong this time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous choice! I'm jealous I didn't get to it first because this is at the top of my movie list. Rob Reiner is a comic genius who knows how to spot a great, action-adventure fantasy. I loved the movie so much that I read Goldman's novel which I would definitely recommend. This was the first time I saw Cary Elwes and most women I know have loved him ever since. This is definitely a you-might-just-get-your-boyfriend-to-watch-it chick flick with some of my favourite screenwriting ever. I can't count the multitude of times I've watched this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this movie! Someone who will remain nameless made me watch this. But it actually turned out to be a great movie and alot of people; including some guys I know love it. Perhaps I shall make my boyfriend watch it haha.

    Good Review Lacey

    ReplyDelete