Thursday, January 22, 2009

"What are men compared to rocks and mountains"...or Pride and Prejudice


Sigh. Smile. Sigh. Laugh. Sigh. Sigh. Smile. This is about all you will do while you watch Pride and Prejudice. This movie is absolutely amazing and I believe one of the best, if not THE best "chick flicks" ever made. However, I have not seen every single "chick flick," so I will restate that it is the best out of the ones I have seen. Although there are a couple versions of Pride and Prejudice, the one that I will be discussing is the version starring Keira Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew Macfayden as Mr. Darcy.

The movie is about the lives of the Bennets, an English family consisting of five sisters. The film follows the growing love between Mr Bingley and Jane, and of course Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. It illustrates hardships the family endure and the challenges imposed on the love between the characters. It's a powerful film, where love is brought together, overcoming obstacles thrown in the way. The language in the movie is beautifully written and the acting is magnificent. The film was nominated for many awards, including four Oscars, and won a number of critic awards (see IMDB).

It is not hard to understand why Pride and Prejudice is considered a "chick flick." The main character, Elizabeth is a strong independent women and it is about friendship, sisterly affection, relationships and yes you guessed it, love. However, I will make the argument that it is definitely a movie men can love too. Most, if not all, the men reading this blog are English majors. Therefore, I would assume that you enjoy reading well written novels and have probably read some of Jane Austin, maybe even Pride and Prejudice. If this is the case, then there is no reason you should not like the movie. If you are not an English major or found the book too confusing or too difficult, then the movie is right for you. It helps paint a picture of what is going on, allowing you to enjoy the story line.Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite movies, so I can easily say I am biased when it comes to just how good this movie is, but I am not the only one who thinks so. It is currently number five on Yahoo's Top Ten Best Chick Flick list out of 105 movies. So it is obviously on quite a few favorite lists. For all the men out there, we know you don't want to be be held to the standard of Mr. Darcy so we will try not to, but watch the trailer, see if it is right for you, and then go rent it! I can almost guarantee that most of you will love this movie just as much as I do.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Lacey.
    Jane Austen's remarkable storyline combined with wonderful acting -- definitely a must see. This film holds your interest and keeps you entertained throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of my faves! There are those who might prefer the 1995 mini-series that brought Colin Firth into the world, but I say not so much. Matthew MacFayden is way more romantic leady than Colin Firth any day. The music is divine, the scenery, gorgeous and it's less than half the sit-down time of the mini-series. And the best is Joe Wright's modern perspective that hints at a really interesting romantic and sexual chemistry between Darcy and Elizabeth. Nice choice, Lacy. You are a true chick-flicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree. Matthew Macfayden beats Colin Firth any day. I haven't seen the mini-series, but it is something I will have to sit down and watch sometime. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree, Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favourite movies. The love story is brilliant and I could watch this movie again and again. Great choice!!!

    ReplyDelete